Monday, February 9, 2009

Thanks to Chephart Yosh the second Compost Toilet is complete

This week was a busy week we completed our second compost toilet. We got a very generous donation from Chephart Yosh that allowed us to build our second compost toilet. (see picture) As you can see we went with a different model this time, this model was about half the cost of our first toilet and does not require any ventilation since it is much more open. With the moderate climate in Botswana this should work fine. We had a meeting with the village elders and we are going to try these two models for a month and then decided which version to use for the next three toilets.

With the cost overruns for our first toilets we are still trying to re-build our treasury. If you would like to donate to DUG’s village any amount would be appreciated, just pennies will help. Just click on the donate button.

Please Donate to DUG's Village

Poker this week was good, won $254.30 I played 17.87 hours to give me an hourly rate of $14.23. I still have some work to do to make up for the hit I took in January, but I am confident I will make up ground. Below are my worst and best hands for the week.

On the worst hand it may look like I made the right decision to call his all in bet. While I had the best hand right then, I had a 45% chance to win. So I was betting $163.00 to win $406.00 so it clearly was the right move. At the same time jolicoeur75 made the right move since he was 53% chance to win with a 2% chance to tie. He had 9 outs with 9 unknown clubs for a flush, any 3 (4 or them) for a straight, any Ace (3 of them) for a pair of Aces. That gives him 16 outs. They poker gods were on his side this hand.

BEST HAND (detail or the hand if below)

WORST HAND (detail of the hand if below)

POKERSTARS GAME #24590416386: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2009/02/04 13:30:09 ET
Table 'Dardanos' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: DUG ($197 in chips)
Seat 2: barc58 ($80 in chips)
Seat 3: herby25 ($122.65 in chips)
Seat 4: BoBo1959 ($307.90 in chips)
Seat 5: ChipRick ($200.80 in chips)
Seat 6: brtnboarder ($200 in chips)
Seat 7: ibiza007 ($200 in chips)
Seat 8: Cookeman ($226.80 in chips)
Seat 9: Renton555 ($209.35 in chips)
brtnboarder: posts small blind $1
ibiza007: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DUG [8h 8s]
Cookeman: raises $4 to $6
Renton555: calls $6
DUG: calls $6
barc58: folds
herby25: calls $6
BoBo1959: folds
ChipRick: folds
brtnboarder: calls $5
ibiza007: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qh 2h 8d]
brtnboarder: checks
Cookeman: bets $24
Renton555: calls $24
DUG: raises $71 to $95
herby25: folds
brtnboarder: folds
Cookeman: raises $125.80 to $220.80 and is all-in
Renton555: folds
DUG: calls $96 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($29.80) returned to Cookeman
*** TURN *** [Qh 2h 8d] [6h]
*** RIVER *** [Qh 2h 8d 6h] [Jd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Cookeman: shows [As Qc] (a pair of Queens)
DUG: shows [8h 8s] (three of a kind, Eights)
DUG collected $435 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $438 | Rake $3
Board [Qh 2h 8d 6h Jd]
Seat 1: DUG showed [8h 8s] and won ($435) with three of a kind, Eights
Seat 2: barc58 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: herby25 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: BoBo1959 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: ChipRick (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: brtnboarder (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 7: ibiza007 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Cookeman showed [As Qc] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 9: Renton555 folded on the Flop

POKERSTARS GAME #24524266755: HOLD'EM NO LIMIT ($1/$2) - 2009/02/02 9:51:56 ET
Table 'Mauritia III' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: alladin123 ($88 in chips)
Seat 2: DUG ($218.45 in chips)
Seat 3: SwimLILFISHY ($244.55 in chips)
Seat 4: aceacet ($175.45 in chips)
Seat 5: lllFSlll ($95 in chips)
Seat 8: AFV75 ($200 in chips)
Seat 9: jolicoeur75 ($203 in chips)
aceacet: posts small blind $1
lllFSlll: posts big blind $2
ArCaNiS23: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DUG [Jh Js]
AFV75: folds
jolicoeur75: raises $6 to $8
alladin123: folds
DUG: calls $8
SwimLILFISHY: folds
aceacet: folds
lllFSlll: folds
*** FLOP *** [2c 5c 4c]
jolicoeur75: bets $14
DUG: raises $18 to $32
jolicoeur75: raises $163 to $195 and is all-in
DUG: calls $163
*** TURN *** [2c 5c 4c] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [2c 5c 4c 7c] [6d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
jolicoeur75: shows [Jd Ac] (a flush, Ace high)
DUG: mucks hand
jolicoeur75 collected $406 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $409 | Rake $3
Board [2c 5c 4c 7c 6d]
Seat 1: alladin123 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: DUG mucked [Jh Js]
Seat 3: SwimLILFISHY (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: aceacet (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: lllFSlll (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: AFV75 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: jolicoeur75 showed [Jd Ac] and won ($406) with a flush, Ace high




Mike Gallagher said...

Very interesting that you're working on composting toilets. We here in Newtown, PA are looking into the possibility of using one as well on our Robert's Ridge park.

Here's the vendor we're talking to about providing one.

Small world, seeing how far we are from Botswana...

Life of DUG said...


Here is a site that has a lot of information about compost toilets. In your climate I would assume you need a fully enclosed unit. A few things I would recommend from my research. I would go with a unit that has a solar powered venting system, venting for the interior of the unit to remove foul odors, and also for the venting of the compost area, so that the compost process is not compromised. Also make sure the unit is designed in such a way that it is easy to remove the compost material for use as compost. Good luck and keep me posted on your results.